Attempted Coup in Turkey
Three of the five regiments involved in the attempted coup were part of the NATO's Rapid Deployable Corps.
Some 7,000 armed police in heavy vehicles surrounded the Incirlik air base used by NATO forces in Adana in what a Turkish minister called a “security check.” With no official explanation, speculations have arisen about a new coup attempt or VIP visit.
In the wake of the coup attempt, several military officials at the Incirlik Air Base, including its commander, General Bekir Ercan Van, were arrested on treason charges by Turkish authorities, which claimed that one of the rogue F-16 planes taking part in the rebellion to overthrow Erdogan’s government had been refueled there.
The general had even reportedly attempted to seek asylum in the US, but his plea was apparently rejected.
Incirlic Air Base is used by both the Turkish and US militaries and is vital to the US-led anti-terror bombing campaign in Syria and Iraq. It also serves as one of six NATO storage sites for US tactical nuclear weapons in Europe. The exact number of nuclear bombs kept at the base is unknown, although, according to various estimates, it may store up to 90 warheads.
The US-led coalition’s airstrikes had to be halted for several days when power was cut at the base. US military personnel stationed there had to switch to an internal power supply.
Erdogan Warned of Incoming Coup by Russian Alert
TEHRAN (FNA)- Arab media outlets quoted diplomats in Ankara as disclosing that Turkey's President Erdogan was alerted by Russia against an imminent army coup hours before it was initiated on Friday, while a western media outlet said Erdogan asked his supporters to remain in the streets after receiving advice from Tehran.
Good overview of developments from the Saker.
Erdogan wants to smash Gladio
(Tranlsation from Google Translate)
Erdogan accused the West of involvement in the coup
After Turkish media reports, the NATO Gladio is to be the structural author of the attempted coup of 15 July. Erdogan and the Turkish government are determined to completely smash this parallel structure.
After several Turkish media reports, there will be in Turkey continues to be active Gladio structure of NATO, which is primarily used by the British and Americans to influence political events in Turkey. The movement of the preacher Fethullah Gülen is to be only one arm of this structure. The Turkish journalist Özcan Tikit reported that not only the Turkish government should stiffen the Gülen movement as author of the attempted coup of 15 July. The coup attempt only accrues an international sense if one takes a closer look at the Gladio structure in Turkey. "If once a relationship of trust with the Western Institute ions to be created, Gladio in Turkey must - as has been done in several Western countries - are out of the way," said Tikit in a post by Habertürk.
Erdogan beschuldigt Westen der Mitwirkung am Putsch
Nach türkischen Medienberichten soll die NATO-Geheimarmee Gladio der strukturelle Urheber des Putschversuchs vom 15. Juli sein. Erdogan und die türkische Regierung seien entschlossen, diese Parallelstruktur vollständig zu zerschlagen.
Nach diversen türkischen Medienberichten soll es in der Türkei eine nach wie vor aktive Gladio-Struktur der NATO geben, die vor allem von den Briten und US-Amerikanern genutzt wird, um Einfluss auf das politische Geschehen in der Türkei zu nehmen. Die Bewegung des Predigers Fethullah Gülen soll lediglich ein Arm dieser Struktur sein. Der türkische Journalist Özcan Tikit berichtet, dass sich die türkische Regierung nicht ausschließlich auf die Gülen-Bewegung als Urheber des Putschversuchs vom 15. Juli versteifen dürfe. Der Putschversuch ergibt erst dann einen internationalen Sinn, wenn man einen genaueren Blick auf die Gladio-Struktur in der Türkei wirft. „Wenn erneut ein Vertrauensverhältnis mit den westlichen Insitutionen geschaffen werden soll, muss Gladio in der Türkei – wie dies bereits in mehreren westlichen Staaten geschehen ist – aus dem Weg geräumt werden“, so Tikit in einem Beitrag von Habertürk.
While Washington adamantly continues do deny any and all involvement in the failed July 15 Turkish coup attempt, Turkish media is revealing detailed information of the involvement of key US figures as alleged coup organizers. They include the former NATO International Security Assistance Force (Afghanistan) Commander, Army General John F. Campbell. And now new revelations name Henri J. Barkey, a former CIA man, now based as Bernard L. and Bertha F. Cohen Professor at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, conveniently, a mere 26 miles or 30 minute drive via PA-33 from Saylorsburg, home of the exiled Fethullah Gülen.
According to the Istanbul Yeni Safak paper, on the July 15 night of the coup Henri Barkey and a group of seventeen others, mostly foreigners, met for hours in a locked room in the Splendid Palas hotel on the tourist Princes’ Island outside Istanbul and reportedly followed coup developments on TV amid their closed-door talks, according to testimony of hotel personnel. The paper cites a source from Istanbul Police’s Intelligence, Counter Terror, Cyber Crime and Criminal Units, who reported that Barkey was holding a meeting at the hotel with 17 top figures, most of them foreign nationals, on July 15, the day of the failed coup attempt in Turkey.
According to the hotel management, Barkey had held a “meeting that lasted hours until the morning on July 16 in a special room. They have been following the coup attempt over TV channels,” the hotel personnel told police.
Graham E. Fuller too?
Other reports from well-informed Turkish independent journalists say that among the members present with Barkey the night of the coup was former CIA senior officer and mentor of Fethullah Gülen, Graham E. Fuller, former CIA Station Chief in Turkey. That would be no surprise. Fuller and Barkey are both old Langley CIA associates. Both have long involvement with affairs Turkish. They even co-authored a book, Turkey’s Kurdish Question.
Top US commander warns Damascus & Moscow against operations near American positions
Counter measures will be taken by US troops in case they “feel threatened” by Syrian or Russian air forces, according to a senior US military official. The warning comes in the wake of a recent incident with Syrian warplanes attacking areas close to US Special Forces.
“We’ve informed the Russians where we’re at ... (they) tell us they’ve informed the Syrians, and I’d just say that we will defend ourselves if we feel threatened,” recently appointed US commander of American forces in Iraq and Syria Lt. Gen. Stephen Townsend said in a telephone interview with CNN on Saturday.
US threat to shoot down Syrian jets declaration of war: Analyst
The United States’ threat to shoot down Russian and Syrian warplanes is a declaration of war against these countries, says Scott Bennet, an American political analyst.
The Pentagon’s warning came after US fighter jets tried to engage Syrian Arab Air Force aircraft in Syria last week, but the showdown was avoided as government planes left before the Americans arrived.
Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis claimed on Friday the US fighters attempted to intercept the Syrian planes to protect American advisers – a term the US military often uses for its Special Operations Forces – working with Kurdish forces after the Syrian government jets bombed the area.
On Monday, another Pentagon spokesman, Peter Cook, said, "We would continue to advise the Syrian regime to steer clear of those areas."
"It's not a no-fly zone," he said, adding that “the Syrian regime would be wise to avoid areas where coalition forces have been operating."
Bennet, a former US army psychological warfare officer, told Press TV on Tuesday that it is “quite a declaration of war before a declaration of war, because essentially what the United States has said is that ‘we’re not going to the United States’ Congress about this, we’re simply going to follow military advisers in the Obama administration on this.’”
“Essentially, what that says is ‘it’s war already, and now the Syrians and the Russians have a choice. The choice is always quite simple: the Syrian government’s obligation is to protect its people, and protect its land from invaders,” he stated.
“And in this act, the United States is invading Syria. It is fostering a war; it’s paying for the mercenaries; it is using Saudi Arabian Wahhabists to invade Syria; and create chaos as well some of the Kurdish elements,” the analyst noted.
Deadly Istanbul blast 'caused by Isis suicide bomber'
Eight of 10 victims of deadly blast in Sultanahmet district believed to be German nationals, with one Peruvian also killed
A suicide bomber said by Turkey to be affiliated with Islamic State was responsible for a blast near Istanbul’s grandest tourist attractions that has killed 10 people, most of them German.
“We have determined that the perpetrator of the attack is a foreigner who is a member of Daesh,” prime minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said, using an Arabic acronym for Isis. “Turkey won’t backtrack in its struggle against Daesh by even one step … This terror organisation, the assailants and all of their connections will be found and they will receive the punishments they deserve.”
uglytruth last edited by arnaud
Assassination of ambassador Karlov in Ankara.
Turkey has issued an arrest warrant for Graham Fuller for his alleged role in the 2016 attempted coup.
Guest last edited by
ISTANBUL, Dec. 24 (Xinhua) -- Turkey has dismissed some 2,700 more officers from their posts over a failed coup last year under two new statutory decrees published on Sunday in the Official Gazette.